KUZHALMANNAM G. RAMAKRISHNAN
Kuzhalmannam Ramakrishnan’s name is synonymous with Mridangam (South Indian Percussion Instrument) in the world of music. But he is also a painter, social activist, teacher and a lyricist. More than an artist, he uses his skills in percussion as a catalyst for social change exhalting peace and anti-violence. His marathon experiments in Mridangam intended to sooth hundreds of patients is introduced in many hospitals in Kerala.
- Born on 25th May 1971 in Kuzhalmannam, Palakkad, Kerala, started learning Mridangam from his father ‘Nadabhushanam’ Sri.K.R.Gopalakrishna Iyer at the age of five.
- First stage programme at the age of 10 in Chembai festival. 28 years of dedicated service in the field accompanying veteran artists, fusion with other instrumentalists and solo programmes.
- In July 2004, in memory of his sister, who passed away due to cancer, dedicated 36 hours of continuous Mridangam play accompanied by 130 singers in a programme organized by Swaralaya, Palakkad.
- In May 2005, at an event in Mascot beach, Kannur, performed a five day non-stop solo performance- ‘Rhythm for Peace’ aimed at disseminating the message of anti-violence and peace when the district was turbulent with political riots.
- In August 2008, performed 13 day long marathon - ‘Mridu’ (feel the softness of rhythm) at Nehru College Campus, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, to popularize Mridangam among youth.
- Recently, from 5th to 26th July 2009, played Mridangam continuously for 21 days for ‘Rhythm Therapy’ at Nandavanam Hospital, Ottapalam, Kerala experimenting the effect of rhythm as an alternative therapy. Now plans to continue this therapy in many hospitals.
- Received 4 Guinness World Record Certificates for dedication and hard work in Mridangam performance:
- 2004- 36 hours Mridangam
- 2005- 101 hours Drumming marathon
- 2008- 301 hours Hand drum
- 2009- 501 hours Handdrum marathon
Records based on category of all percussion instruments ( Hand drum ) used in the world. As per the world record rules, the first person in the world to perform more than 500 hours in any instruments continuously.
- His 50 paintings on canvas related to music were exhibited at Govt.Music College Palakkad, Cherpulassery Music Festival, Navarathri Music Festival Edappal, Nandavanam Ottapalam, Kannur Sangeetha Sabha, etc.
- Directed and acted ‘Naadam’, a telefilm, which describes the effects of mridangam tone in human beings. He has written some Malayalam songs also.
- Teaches Mridangam in Swathi Thirunal Kalakendra, Kannur and Centre of Music, Palakkad. Published a book ‘M-Rhythm’ for Mridangam students.
- Plays a significant role as in-charge of Mridangam section for the 15 day long Chembai Music Festival conducted by Guruvayoor Devaswom.
- AIR confers 'Top Grade' rank in Oct 2010, and prior to that, as an ‘A’ Grade casual Artist of All India Radio/ Doordarshan since 1994. Has performed in National Programme of Music, Radio Sangeeth Sammelan including Live National programme from famous Sree Thyagaraja Aradhana Festival, Thiruvaiyyaru. Memorable performances in many television channels including the very popular Star Singer in Asianet.
- Holds many titles - Laya Rathna, Kala Vallabha, HumanWonder, Mridanga Vaadya Kala thilakam, OutstandingYoungPerson, Deva Vaadhya Visharad, Mridanga Samrat etc… from various organizations in India and abroad.
He can be contacted at
Kuzhalmannam G. Ramakrishnan
Kuzhalmannam Agraharam (Post)
Palakkad, Kerala – 678702. India.
Phone: 0492 2273292
Mobile: 094479 63738
E mail: email@example.com